How to apply
- Important information – All Applications must be submitted online. All other forms of submission will not be considered. Online application forms can be accessed once an award is open for applications.
- Applications are due by 5pm (AEST) on the closing date and must be endorsed by your NHMRC administering Institution research office.
- Applications that do not adhere to the instructions will not be considered.
- Heart Foundation Research Program staff are able to assist with procedural queries in relation to making your application.
Please note applications are assessed by an external peer review committee comprised of experts in the field of cardiovascular research, not Heart Foundation staff. Therefore, Heart Foundation staff are not able to answer queries relating to an application’s relevance to the purpose of each award.
We recommend you seek guidance from your supervisor, research office or colleagues for queries relating to these matters.
If you’re successful
If you’re successful, you will receive an offer, usually late November. After accepting the offer, you will enter into a formal funding agreement.
More information about managing your award and your obligations is available in the Manage my funding section.
The peer review process
- The Heart Foundation manages a contemporary peer review process using external panel members selected based on their skills and experience in the cardiovascular research setting.
- The peer review process accounts for conflicts of interest. Applications undergo rigorous review as explained in detail in the eligibility and award stipulations document for each award.
- The details and assessment of all applications are subject to privacy policies and laws, which we uphold.
You can contact the Heart Foundation research team emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling us on (03) 9321 1581.
Application closing dates for the 2018 research funding round are:
|Future Leader Fellowships||Wednesday 11 April|
|Postdoctoral Fellowships||Friday 20 April|
|Vanguard Grants||Thursday 3 May|
|Partnership Engagement Grants||Friday 18 May|
|Health Professional Scholarships||Friday 22 June|
|Collaboration & Exchange Awards||Friday 7 September|
What you need to know before applying
For initial questions about applying, please contact the research office at your institution.
If you are considering applying for funding from us, please be aware that:
- All research funded by the Heart Foundation must be conducted primarily in Australia and be related to cardiovascular health.
- Applicants must be: an Australian or New Zealand citizen, or permanent resident, or must have applied to become an Australian permanent resident.
- Research supported by us must be administered by an NHMRC Administering Institution.
- Ethics clearances (where required) need to be in place for the duration of the award.
- We do not fund researchers, research groups or institutions that have accepted money from the tobacco industry or persons connected with the tobacco industry.
- Specific eligibility criteria apply for each award. Please check that you meet the criteria before applying by carefully reading the eligibility and award stipulations document, which must be read in conjunction with the instructions to applicants document Both documents will be available on the webpage for each award.
The following table outlines the process and general timeframe for our major awards:
Peer review committee
Recommendation for funding
|Offers of awards*||Nov||Nov||Nov||Nov|
*Approximate dates only. Final dates are confirmed at the beginning of each year.
FLF: Future Leader Fellowship; PDF: Postdoctoral Fellowship; VG: Vanguard Grant; HPS: Health Professional Scholarship