Heart Foundation Local Government Awards
Local Government Awards
For 25 years, the Heart Foundation Local Government Awards have recognised and showcased councils working to improve heart health through building a sense of community, encouraging people to be physically active, be smoke-free and make healthy food choices.
Important healthy community elements include:
• Opportunities for recreational and incidental physical activity.
• Safe, connected, ‘walkable’ neighbourhoods.
• Accessible, safe and appealing environments and facilities that encourage healthy lifestyles.
• Access to affordable, healthy and/or sustainable foods.
• Building the community’s capacity and knowledge to choose and prepare healthy foods.
• Smoke-free environments.
• Opportunities for community members to lead interactive and socially connected lives.
• Appropriate, well designed and maintained infrastructure that supports recreation, social interaction and active transport options.
The awards reward councils at a national and state level with cash awards, commemorative frames and profiling of council's efforts through promotional material, presentation events, local media and case studies.
Read about the innovative and sustainable ways the 2017 winners and highly commended councils are creating healthier communities in the 2017 Winners Booklet (PDF).
NSW: Sarah Young
NT: Simon Dixon
QLD: Kara Gerritsen
SA: Frances Turland
TAS: Gillian Mangan
VIC: Lisa Speirs
WA: Lisa Rooke
Read about the innovative and sustainable ways the 2016 winners and highly commended councils created healthier communities in the 2016 Winners Booklet (PDF).
Young heart patient Alicia has had multiple heart surgeries and shares her words of wisdom on the importance of sel… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…