Active Healthy Communities Resource
Active, healthy communities is a resource package for local government to help developing supportive environments for physical activity and healthy eating.
Queensland councils already play a significant role in creating environments that support active and healthy lifestyles.
This package helps them build on this with useful ideas, practical information and case studies, based on the latest research into the impact of built and social environments on health.
Councils have a responsibility to contribute to the health and wellbeing of their communities through planning and development, and by providing and managing facilities and services.
Active, healthy communities has been specifically developed to:
- cover a broad range of council functions
- suit councils of different sizes
- be easily incorporated in stages into council policies and practices
- contain options that can be undertaken with little or no budget or additional staff allocation
- contain options that provide good return on investment in the short and long term.
It is divided into parts that reflect the way councils plan and implement corporate policy through:
- corporate and operational plans
- planning schemes
- local laws
- individual programs in departments.
Active, healthy communities has been developed jointly by the Queensland Government, the Local Government Association of Queensland and the Heart Foundation.
For more information, visit the active, healthy communities website.
See also: Healthy, active communities
Heart Foundation Walking
Walking is an enjoyable and easy way to stay active. Join one of our free walking groups or track your progress with our mobile app.
Find a walking group