Prevention, detection and management of heart failure
2018 guidelines developed by the National Heart Foundation of Australia (NHFA) in partnership with the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ). These guidelines are endorsed by:
- Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care (ACSQHC)
- Australian and New Zealand Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons (ANZSCTS)
- The Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine (ACRRM)
- The Council of Remote Area Nurses of Australia (CRANA)
- Australian College of Nursing (ACN)
- RCPA- Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia
Algorithms 2018 guidelines
- Table 10. Medications that may cause or exacerbate chronic heart failure
- Figure 1. Drivers and potential targets for treatment in heart failure with reduced ejection fraction
- Figure 2. Diagnostic workup of a patient with suspected heart failure
- Figure 3. Management of patients with heart failure with reduced ejection fraction
- NHFA/CSANZ Heart Failure Guidelines 2018 – full guideline presentation
- NHFA/CSANZ Heart Failure Guidelines 2018 – guideline summary presentation
Supporting documentation 2018 guidelines
- Governance document: NHFA and CSANZ: Australian clinical guidelines for the detection, prevention and management of heart failure 2018
- Conflict of interest register for NHFA and CSANZ heart failure 2018 working group
- Conflict of interest register for NHFA and CSANZ heart failure 2018 reference group
- Key messages & FAQs
A targeted approach to reducing heart failure readmissions: The Heart Failure Toolkit
A resource for reducing 30-day readmission rates for patients with heart failure. Outlines a series of patient-centred outcome measures, three heart failure optimisation pillars, a framework for health service system redesign and how data can be used to drive quality improvement. A joint initiative between the Heart Foundation and the Victorian Government through the Health Innovation and Reform Council (HIRC) and the Victorian Cardiac Clinical Network (VCCN).
- HEART online website
Clinician resources for cardiac rehabilitation and heart failure management. Access evidence-based guidelines, templates, protocols, calculators, patient resources and videos. Supported by Queensland Health and the Heart Foundation.
- Multidisciplinary care for people with chronic heart failure: Principles and recommendations for best practice, 2010 (PDF)
To help health professionals and policymakers establish and maintain best-practice heart failure management programs in Australia.
Living well with heart failure
These consumer resources will be updated soon due to the release of new heart failure guidelines.
- Living well with chronic heart failure booklet (PDF)
To help people with heart failure better understand and manage their condition.
- Living well with chronic heart failure information sheet (PDF) (Available in 17 languages)
Information sheet for people with heart failure and their carers.
Resources for lower literacy
These resources are designed for health professionals to use with heart failure patients who have low health literacy.
- Living well with heart failure - Information to help you feel better (PDF)
- My Medicines Plan (PDF)
- My Fluid Plan (PDF)