What is Big Heart Appeal?
The Big Heart Appeal is the Heart Foundation's annual doorknock campaign.
Each year, thousands of big-hearted volunteers doorknock in local communities to raise funds for lifesaving heart research, education and ongoing support.
When is it on?
Our doorknockers will be active from 1-30 September, with a couple of exceptions:
QLD – 1-14 September
WA – 1-30 September, excluding Sunday 17 and 24
How can I help?
If you get a visit from one of our volunteer doorknockers this September, please give generously or donate online. Donations of $2 or more are tax-deductible.
How do I recognise an official Big Heart Appeal doorknocker?
All of our volunteer doorknockers can be identified by three items:
- Official Identification Badge, marked 2017, showing name and 6-digit Collector Number
- Big Heart Appeal Receipt Book
- Big Heart Appeal Collection Bag
Where does the money go?
Our generous doorknockers and donors make a significant contribution to the fight against heart disease. Here’s a range of examples of what a donation can do:
- $10 allows us to send a free information booklet to one at-risk Australian who needs help to improve their heart health.
- $50 allows five people to access our Health Information Service hotline where a qualified health professional can provide personalised information on heart health, nutrition and lifestyle – free of charge to the caller.
- $100 could pay for a DNA test that can help a researcher discover new and innovative treatments for heart disease.
- On a large scale, $100,000 can fund a prestigious Heart Foundation Fellowship for the best and brightest mid-career cardiovascular researchers. This allows them to continue to contribute to a growing base of knowledge in biomedical, clinical and public health research.
Our volunteers can’t knock on every door. So we’re asking you to help them by knocking on ours. Please give generously to keep more families together.