The Heart Foundation Local Government Awards recognise and showcase councils working to improve heart health through building a sense of community, encouraging people to be physically active, be smoke-free and make healthy food choices.
• Opportunities for recreational and incidental physical activity.
• Safe, connected, ‘walkable’ neighbourhoods.
• Accessible, safe and appealing environments and facilities that encourage healthy lifestyles.
• Access to affordable, healthy and/or sustainable foods.
• Building the community’s capacity and knowledge to choose and prepare healthy foods.
• Smoke-free environments.
• Opportunities for community members to lead interactive and socially connected lives.
• Appropriate, well designed and maintained infrastructure that supports recreation, social interaction and active transport options.
The awards reward councils at a national and state level with cash awards, commemorative frames and profiling of council's efforts through promotional material, presentation events, local media and case studies.
If your council is a champion for the health of your community, we encourage you to submit an application in the 2016 awards. For more information, please download the Application Information Pack below.
To register your interest in applying contact the Heart Foundation Local Government Awards Coordinator in your state or territory. Your State Coordinator is also happy to answer any questions you may have.
For more information on the awards and how to apply, we encourage you to attend one of the following teleconferences and hear more from State Coordinators and other councils.
• Mon 18 April – 10.30am (EST)
• Thurs 21 April – 2.30pm (EST)
• Mon 9 May – 10.30am (EST)
• Mon 9 May – 2.30pm (EST)
To register for a teleconference email firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your contact details and the date/time you wish to attend. A follow up email will be sent to you with an agenda and dial in details.
Entries close 5pm (your local time) on Friday 20 May 2016.
For more information, please contact your State Coordinator, or email email@example.com.
NT: Bruce-Lee King
QLD: Sue Hines
SA: Teresa Gadaleta
TAS: Gideon Cordover
VIC: Jenni Lanfear
Read about the innovative and sustainable ways the 2015 winners and highly commended councils are creating healthier communities in the 2015 Winners Booklet (PDF)
For details of the 2014 national and state award recipients and their initiatives, see the 2014 Local Government Awards booklet (PDF).
The Heart Foundation South Australia provides free resources for local councils to help promote better health, particularly cardiovascular health and risk factors for chronic disease.
Healthy By Design SA
Congratulations @CatherineKingMP on your reappointment to health portfolio. Looking forward to working together again.